Delicious Spinach,avocado and banana Smoothie topped with fresh mango, kiwi, and tropical fruit granola
As we know starting the day with a good, nutritious breakfast is important. I love to experiment with different smoothie recipes and if you ask me, they all taste delicious! My most recent experiment was particularly good. In fact, too good not to share!
Of course, the great taste is not all there is to it. This smoothie is also packed with plenty of vitamins and minerals. Here is a quick overview.
Spinach is high in iron, which helps to improve the quality of blood, restore energy and increase vitality.
Banana is a good source of the vitamins C, A, B-6, folate, riboflavin, niacin and minerals such as potassium, manganese, magnesium, and iron.
Avocado contains mono-unsaturated fatty acids with the main one being oleic acid. This ‘heart healthy’ fatty acid has been linked to reduced inflammation and has been shown to have beneficial effects on genes linked to cancer. Additionally, avocados contain dietary fibre and protein and are low in sodium.
Mango is an excellent source of the vitamins A, B-6, C, and vitamin-E, the flavonoid antioxidant compounds beta-carotene, alpha-carotene and cryptoxanthin and minerals such as potassium and copper. Moreover, mango, also known as ‘the king of the fruits’, is rich in pre-biotic fibre.
Kiwi’s high vitamin C content ( five times more than an orange!) makes it a great natural immune booster. It’s also high in fibre and a good source of the vitamins K, A, E, B-6, and minerals such as potassium and copper.
And these are just some of the many nutritional facts and benefits of the main ingredients.
So here comes the recipe.
The smoothie base
- 1 banana
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- Handful of spinach leaves, washed
- 1 cup of soya/almond or coconut milk
- 1 tsp of peanut/almond butter
- 1 tbsp of milled linseed
For the topping
- 1/4 mango, chopped
- 1/2 kiwi, chopped
- 1/4 cup of tropical fruit (or original) granola
Blend all of the smoothie ingredients until creamy. Transfer into a glass or a bowl and top with the mango, kiwi and granola.
1.What is Kiwi good for? – http://foodfacts.mercola.com/kiwi.html
2. Mango fruit nutrition facts – http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/mango-fruit.html
3. Spinach: health benefits, uses, precautions – http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270609.php
4. The health benefits of spinach – http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/ingredient-focus-spinach
5.What are the health benefits of bananas? – http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271157.php
6. 12 Proven Benefits of Avocado – https://authoritynutrition.com/12-proven-benefits-of-avocado