Delicious crunchy hazelnut spread – best enjoyed on toast or with apple slices as a snack.
Hazelnuts are an excellent source of protein and energy. They contain complex carbohydrates and dietary fibre and are a great source of vitamins and minerals such as B- vitamins, Vitamin E, and the minerals manganese, potassium, calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Hazelnuts, also known as filbert nuts or cobnuts, are low in sodium and sugar and are high in mono-unsaturated fats which, research has shown. can help to lower cholesterol and promote a healthy cardiovascular system.
So if you are looking to add some variety to your morning toast or afternoon snack, while ensuring that it’s healthy and satisfying, this crunchy homemade version of Nutella can be the perfect solution.
Crunchy hazelnut spread
- 1 cup of hazelnuts, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 2/3 cup of raw cacao powder
- ½ cup of organic coconut oil
- 3 tbsp of honey (or maple syrup)
Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and grind until reaching a coarse mixture consistency. Add the salt, coconut oil, cacao powder and honey and blend to combine.
Place in a jar and store in a refrigerator for up to two weeks.
References and Further Reading:
1. Hazelnut (Filbert nuts , Cobnuts) Benefits, Side Effects, and Information – http://www.seedguides.info/hazelnut/
2. Nutritional facts of Hazelnuts – http://www.hazelnut.com/nutrition.php
3. Hazelnuts Nutrition Facts – http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/hazelnuts.html