Cool down this summer with a refreshing blend of pineapple, banana and yoghurt. This tropical smoothie is a perfect choice at breakfast or as an afternoon pick-me-up.
The increasingly warm and sunny weather has put me in the mood for fresh smoothie creations (as well as daydreaming about travel, holidays, and relaxing by the beach of course). Having tried this combination for the first time at home, I was extremely pleased with the end result and thought of sharing it with you. This smoothie is not only delicious but also packed with health promoting nutrients.
A source of vitamins and minerals including vitamin C and A, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, folate and pantothenic acid, magnesium, manganese and potassium, as well as antioxidants and polyphenols, such as beta-carotene. Health benefits include:
- Aids digestion
- Promotes good cardiovascular health
- Supports the immune system
- Promotes bone health
- Has a protective role against certain cancers such as prostate and colon cancer
- Helps to reduce inflammation
- Promotes healthy skin
- Reduces risk of developing asthma
Another great source of vitamins including vitamin C, A, B6, folate, riboflavin, niacin and minerals such as potassium, manganese, magnesium and iron. Some of its many health benefits include:
- Helps to lower blood pressure
- Reduces risk of cancer
- Promotes good heart health
- Helps to improve blood sugar and insulin levels
- Aids in preserving memory and boosting mood
As in with one of my other recipes of Creamy Banana and Avocado Smoothie, the first time I made this I used strawberry flavoured probriotic yoghurt drink (Actimel) for extra goodness. Listed in the recipe below are a few other options that you can choose from when making your own smoothie.
- 1/2 cup of fresh pineapple – peeled and cubed
- 1 medium banana
- 1 probiotic yoghurt drink (such as Actimel – flavoured or original) or 1/2 cup of yoghurt (plain or coconut/fruit flavoured) or 1/2 cup of coconut milk.
Peel and cut the fruit, then blend all the ingredients until smooth. Transfer into a glass or jar.
Serve cold and enjoy!
Tip: You can also add some crunchy nut cereal, linseed with nuts and seeds for an extra energy boost in the morning :