A selection of four delicious toast toppings on rye bread -a perfect breakfast, brunch or afternoon snack option.
If you are bit like me and can never decide on just one toast topping then having a variety of different ones divided into small portions of toast can be the perfect solution.
I used everything that I currently had in my fridge and cupboards and voalá!
All of the ingredients used to make this toast heaven are packed with wholesome nutrients guaranteed to provide you with energy and keep you full for longer.
I used Whole Grain Oat Rye Bread as the base. I came across it in a local Waitrose supermarket and since it was reduced in price I thought why not give it a try.
Tip: always keep an on eye on reduced price isles in supermarkets, especially for good quality whole grain breads – you might get lucky, as I did! What’s more, the bread was nowhere near expiring yet so it was a win-win situation for me 😊
For the recipe you can use either this particular one or another whole grain bread of your choice.
Why choose whole grain? Here are a few facts:
Benefits of Whole-grain bread
- Higher in dietary fiber
- Improves gut health
- Contributes towards better heart health (reduced cholesterol and lower blood pressure)
- Weight control
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Improves concentration and alertness
- Good source of B vitamins (thiamine and niacin)
- Source of essential minerals such as iron, magnesium and zinc
- Can reduce risk of certain types of cancers (colorectal, breast and prostate)
Recipe is as follows:
Veggie-rye bread, 2 slices (or other whole grain bread of your choice)
Topping 1: Hummus & Cherry tomatoes
- Organic hummus, 1 tablespoon
- 3 Cherry tomatoes, sliced
Topping 2: Avocado & Cherry tomatoes
- ½ ripe avocado, sliced
- 3 Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Olive oil, 1 teaspoon (a finishing touch – a dash or two over the main topping)
Topping 3: Ricotta & Dried Fruit
- Whole milk Ricotta Cheese (or cream cheese), 1 tablespoon
- Dried cranberries (or other dried fruit of your choice such as blueberries, sultanas, prunes or figs), handful
- Coconut flakes, 1 teaspoon
Topping 4: Peanut butter & Apple
- Organic crunchy or smooth peanut better (or other nut butter of your choice such as almond or cashew), 1 tablespoon
- ¼ Apple, sliced
- Flaxseeds, ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon, ½ teaspoon
Lightly toast the bread slices then cut them diagonally into two equal triangles.
Add one topping per slice and serve while still warm.
Great enjoyed with a cup of soya or Greek yoghurt with honey and flaxseed, or a warm drink such as organic matcha latte.
- LifeCoach: The benefits of brown bread: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/lifecoach/5918915/LifeCoach-the-benefits-of-brown-bread.html
2. 18 Health Benefits of Whole Grains: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/10/whole-grains-health-benefits_n_5655022.html