bACKGROUND INFORMATION ON THE origin, technique and health benefits of AYURVEDIC YOGA MASSAGE
What is Ayurvedic Yoga Massage (AYM)?
Ayurvedic yoga massage (AYM) is type of yoga-inspired full body treatment using Ayurvedic principles. It combines traditional Indian deep tissue massage with assisted yoga stretches and breathwork, to help gradually open up the body, release tension and facilitate the flow of energy. The effects of Ayurvedic yoga massage are deeply relaxing and rejuvenating.
AYM is a floor-based therapy and takes place on a mattress to allow for full range of movement for both the therapist and the receiver. A natural oil (sometimes with added plant extracts or essential oils) is combined with Calamus root powder (also known as Sweet Flag, which helps stimulate blood flow and exfoliate the skin) . The massage is delivered using hands, arms and feet and a typical session can last between 60 and 120 minutes.
Ayurvedic massage is an important part of Ayurvedic therapy and has been for thousands of years. Its main purpose is to help remove toxins that have accumulated in the body leading to blockages as well mental and emotional purification.
Ayurvedic yoga massage was developed in the early 1980s in Pune, India by Master Kusum Modak who studied therapeutic Ayurvedic massage while also being a yoga practitioner and a disciple of B.K.S Iyengar. Having discovered the healing effects of the massage therapy and the yogic stretches and breath-work involved, Modak combined the two styles.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Yoga Massage
- Detoxification of the body and strengthening of the lymphatic system
- Stimulation of blood circulation
- Reduces muscle tension
- Improves breathing capacity
- Working with the breath, promotes a state of relaxation and rejuvenation
- Relieves stress
- Increases flexibility, mobility and range of movement
- Helps correct postural imbalances
- Supports recovery from sports injuries
- Promotes mindfulness
- Can help ease joint pain
- Helps to treat headaches
To book a session (in London, UK) click here.
References and Further Reading:
- A glimpse of Ayurveda – The forgotten history and principles of Indian traditional medicine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5198827/
- What is Ayurvedic Yoga Massage – https://ayurvedicyogamassageuk.org/what-is-ayurvedic-yoga-massage/
- Ayurvedic Yoga Massage (AYM)- http://www.pranamasala.com/en/ayurvedic-yoga-massage/
- Ayurvedic Yoga Massage – http://www.positivehealth.com/article/massage/ayurvedic-yoga-massage
- Ayurvedic Yoga Massage – https://www.anantamassage.com/what-is-ayurvedic-yoga-massage